YOU CAN REACH MY CARD MAKING BLOG HERE
PitaPata Horse tickers

Thursday 11 November 2010

We Will Remember Them

This year I've decided to share my all time favourite poem with you. I made up my mind about this quite a while ago. Because this year, I am dedicating this poem to my recently departed brother-in-law, Peter. Peter served for many years in the RAF, based in Germany, where he married and had two beautiful daughters. This poem, from my heart, is for him, and for all those who've lost their lives in service to our country. We will remember them.

The Soldier
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by sons of home.
And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.
Rupert Brooke

5 comments:

  1. It's very touching. My grandfather was in the RAF for the entire length of WW11 & luckily he came home.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful poem. My husband was in the Army for 21 years is named for an Uncle who died in the Second World War so Veteran's Day (or is it Remembrance Day in England?) is always special to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Autumn, my grandson is in the RAF and has served in Iraq and Afghanistan and its really scarey while hes away. This is such a gorgeous poem and its right to remember those that never came home. With love and hugs Shirleyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poem.

    We all have so much to thank our veterans for.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from visitors, so please let me know you dropped by, and I will visit you as soon as I can.