YOU CAN REACH MY CARD MAKING BLOG HERE
PitaPata Horse tickers

Thursday 30 December 2010

Review of the Year, Part Two

And so to say farewell to 2010, here are my own personal awards for the past year.
1. Book of the Year - This was easy. The winner is The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger. I was rivetted all the way through it. A very unusual way of exploring an unusual topic. Beautifully written, a real treat. I will read it again in two or three years.
2. Film of the Year - This one was not so easy. The two contenders are:
'Knight and Day' starring Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz, action packed and very funny (and did I say it starred Tom Cruise?!)
'Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.'
And the winner is: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. A tale beautifully told, true to the book and very well acted. The special effects are stunning, too. Well worth a gander.
3. Place visited this year: Hardwick Hall. We went there for my birthday in March and I absolutely loved it. It's a tudor building and fascinating to explore. I'd definitely go there again.

4. Event of the year: Holiday in Mumby, with the horses and the dog, living in the lorry and galloping along the beach. A fabulous experience.
5. Regret of the year: Not being able to ride round Chatsworth as it was too hot to take the horses. Hard to believe at this time of year, but true nonetheless. A definite date for next year.
6. Gadget of the year: The Sizzix Bigshot, most excellent Christmas present. This baby is going to transform my cardmaking. But also this little thing:
It's a corner punch that cuts your square corners into round ones, making them look very professional. Who would have thought I'd have found such a little thing so exciting?!
7. Recipe of the year: It's got to be the Onion Chutney, which was absolutely gorgeous, although runner up would have to be the Bannoffee pie, and there's a lot to be said for picking your own rhubarb and cooking with it the same day. They don't come much fresher than that.
8. TV Programme of the Year: I have a feeling that would have been Downton Abbey, but as I haven't actually watched it, I can't really say (but I've just found out the whole lot is going to be shown on 2nd and 3rd January, imagine my delight!) So the winner is...
The Apprentice - for gripping me, fascinating me and making me laugh.
9. Song of the Year: The Rhythm of Love by The Plain White T's. A beautiful song. I've also loved Annie Lennox' CD, Christmas Cornucopia. I am so glad I got it. It sums up everything that Christmas means to me. Biggest disappointment: Take That's New Album. All the songs sound the same, and the words don't make any sense. Can I just say, for the record (no pun intended) after watching Robbie Williams looking bored rigid on Strictly Come Dancing and not even bothering to sing towards the end, that Robbie doesn't need Take That and Take That don't need Robbie, so could we just stop it now, please?
And finally...
10. Unexpected Pleasure Of The Year: That Chris Evans has been so superb in taking over the breakfast show on Radio 2. I absolutely love listening to him every day. I was thrilled, too, that in May he abseiled from a building in Portsmouth to raise money for a hospice called 'The Rowans.' This place is very dear to my heart, as both my mum and grandmother spent some time there. There is a 96 year old woman called Doris Long who holds the record as the oldest person ever to abseil, and she just rang up and said, "Why don't you have a go, Chris?" and he said yes. As simple as that. Thankyou Chris, it was brill. I and many others really appreciate it. Thankyou for brightening my mornings throughout this year. Not many could have filled Sir Terry's shoes, but you have done it admirably.
So all that remains is for me to wish you a wonderful and peaceful New Year, and that you will have a healthy, prosperous and most of all fun 2011.
Bless you folks.
Mrs O.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year!! I love your review of 2010(am in total agreement about your favourite book). I hope you are enjoying your Big Shot and I look forward to seeing some more of your lovely cards. Thanks for visiting me over the last year and I have enjoyed peaking into your life (in a non-stalkerish way of course!!). M x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, hope its the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you and all those you love. May your cards, creations, your loved ones and all your four legged friends bring you love and especially joy in the year to come!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year Jane, I love your list and Im so glad you found so many things that really took your fancy and enjoyed. Take care with love and hugs Shirleyxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from visitors, so please let me know you dropped by, and I will visit you as soon as I can.