YOU CAN REACH MY CARD MAKING BLOG HERE
PitaPata Horse tickers

Friday 3 December 2010

Still Snowing...

As my title suggests, there has been no change in the weather. Pongo and I measured the drifts yesterday, and it is up to five feet in places. We cut a section out and I stood in it, with just my head protruding at the top (I am five foot seven). Now Kirsty the cat is hiding in it, ready to pounce on any unsuspecting passer-by.
Apparently we had temperatures into minus double figures last night. Everyone seemed fine this morning though, and Mr O has made it to work for the past two days.
Barnaby insists on going out each morning, and poor Zak has to accompany him. He looked at me yesterday as if to say, "Do I have to? Just to keep him company. I'm quite happy here with my pile of hay and my rug on really." Poor boy. It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it!
They come in after an hour or so. Barnaby is phenomenally clean, whiter than white. I've given him a good groom this morning, and he's gleaming. He is actually due to be clipped again, but I think that would be a bit mean, don't you? I wonder if he realises what a kindness I have performed (just by leaving him alone!)
Mr O appeared at lunch time yesterday, to my astonishment, and basically said that if Son 1 wanted a lift home, it was now or never, as it was still snowing. Son 1 lives near Nottingham, and apparently the roads were pretty clear, so they got there safe and sound. I am so glad he came, though, he made things so much easier. I had to do everything myself this morning, and realised how hard it is to push a full wheelbarrow through the snow, even the short distance to the barn, but then I found the sliding door had frozen shut. I had to ring Pongo and ask him to come out and open it for me, which he did. Then he offered to muck Lyndy out, which was wonderful (Lyndy is his horse, after all).
Of course, this is the perfect weather to sit indoors, with the fire on, and make some cards. The irony is, even if Mr O can get them into work, the recipient can't get in, so the cards will have to sit on her desk until Monday.
I've made this:

I am learning to assess a card when I see it in a magazine or on a blog, and ask myself what it is about the card that is so appealing. I saw these papers and couldn't resist them. They are the sweetest thing I've seen all Christmas. I am so in love with that pastel blue and red colour combination.
The papers I ordered from America are based on this colour scheme. Of course now we have so much snow, the dustmen haven't been, and neither has the postman, so my chances of getting these papers before Christmas are now nil. Never mind, they'll be something to look forward to next year.
I've also made this, as the person I'm making the cards for also wanted a birthday card for her nephew, one from her and one from her son, so this is the one for her son to give his cousin.


I've never made a pop-up card before, and it took me ages to get my head round the instructions, even though I had a picture of the finished item in front of me. But once I'd done it, it was pretty obvious, so I'm bound to make some more of these.
I emailed the customer to ask what her nephew was into, and as you can see, she said football. I had a bit of a panic because I realised if I ordered something to use it wouldn't be delivered, then I had a brainwave and ordered the pyramage above from Craftsuprint. How brilliant that I can just pay for it and download it, and there it is, ready for me to use, without any post involved. That's clever, really, isn't it? No wonder they're saying, "It's the way forward in card making."
I hope all my readers have a good weekend. I am trying not to panic about Christmas shopping. People will have to have money if I can't get to the shops, but it's not the same, is it?
We were also supposed to be going to a dressage competition on Sunday, but of course, it's cancelled. It doesn't matter now, because a) I haven't been able to practise because of the snow, and b) there's no way I'd drive the lorry there anyway. They've postponed it until the following week, but I still don't know if we'll be able to get there. Such a shame, I was looking forward to it.
So wrap up warm, everyone, and look after yourselves (and anyone you know, who could do with a helping hand). I'm off to bake a cake, my first one with duck eggs. Wish me luck!
Mrs O.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs O, it looks as though you are in for quite a thaw once it starts, Im not sure I would want that amount of snow weve only had a couple of inches and yours looks a lot of hard work.
    I shouldnt worry to much about the shopping Im sure your family and friends understand, and no doubt you will come to a decision how best to sort the pressies out.
    It sounds that Barnaby thoroughly enjoys the snow its a shame his friend isnt so eager but I dont blame him, and at least hes less likely to hurt himself in it.
    Fabulous cards they should be well received especially the male one. Hope it soon starts to thaw for you and the cake goes well. With love and hugs Shirleyxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty bad over there weatherwise. I'm pretty amazed Mr.O has managed to get to work. That's dedication!

    At least you don't have to make excuses for staying indoors making your lovely cards. Enjoy! I was wondering how many things you could download. The football card is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe the amount of snow you have had, we have been very lucky and missed it pretty much. Take care of yourself, cosy up in the warmth and make some more of your gorgeous cards - must look in to Craftsuprint, sounds like a good idea. Hope your duck egg cake was successful, and try not to fret too much about Christmas - it is beyond your control. Thinking of you. M x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty paper!! Oooo! Love the little houses and colors!!!
    You asked how I did my ribbon on my card and all I did was cut 2" strips and form a loop and then glued the loops in different directions. I hope that helps!
    Hugs, Dena

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from visitors, so please let me know you dropped by, and I will visit you as soon as I can.